Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Salvaged Weekend

I think my weekend went really well after my little Vienna fiasco. The weather was really nice Friday so I went on a nice long run along the Arno. 5.8 miles to be exact (I mapped it, out of curiosity.) There were so many people jogging, biking, and walking with their dogs it was really pleasant. Rachel and I got dinner to go and some wine and just had a nice evening watching Crazy, Stupid, Love.
Saturday was a little gloomy so Rachel and I went to the Uffizi. It is a giant museum with so much artwork. We spent a long time walking through each room and looking at each artwork. It was very pleasant. We then went on a three hour walk north of our apartment, farther away from the Duomo/ tourists. We found some really cool clothing stores. I found a dress that I reallyyy like, I may go back and try it on. We'll see. We then started craving some gelato. There is this good place that all the roomies go to called Percheno. (translated means "why not") But it's all the why by the Duomo, completely opposite of where we were, but we had all the time in the world so decided to make the trek. On our way there we heard some drums so we ventured towards them. Ended up stumbling upon a little festival. In the middle of Piazza della Repubblica, there were these people all dressed up playing the drums and flag throwers..? Either way it was a really cool find. There were a bunch of people were crowded around the performers who were putting on this show. So we got our amazingg gelato and watched. Quite the success, I'd say.
Sunday a storm came in and it started to rain. But Rachel and I had to get out cause if you don't get out at least once during the day, it's kind of depressing. So we walked along the Arno, my favorite. Of course I was extra happy because I love the rain and I love the Arno. I took some really pretty pictures too.
Two of the roommates who went to Prague came back Sunday night and told us all about their adventures. And then the other roomies came back Monday morning at six with all my stuff. They had some good stories and pretty pictures to show us even though you could tell they were hesitant to say anything good at first. Haha. I'm bummed I missed out, of course, but mainly because they went on this ice skating rink in front of this castle, but this rink also had mile long trails that you could skate through and it played music throughout the whole park. Sounded soo cool. That was the one thing I was really jealous of. But I'll survive. haha
Because today is Mardi Gras, there are children dressed up in costumes everywhere. Like at the random festival there were girls in these big dresses throwing confetti everywhere. So today walking from school up this random side street I stumbled upon yet another little parade. There was a little band of drummers with their teacher playing songs. And little kids with their parents all dressed up in all sorts of costumes throwing confetti everywhere! It was really entertaining I'm so happy I stumbled upon it. They were so cute! I saw a little girl run around and eat complete shit and the mom was just cracking up it was really fun. Put quite the smile on my face.
Tonight our Italian boys are talking us to a Mardi Gras party that the Engineering School in Florence is throwing. My roomies and I just went to the Euro store and bought some masks, cookies, and laundry detergent. haha. Quite the combination. But I'm really excited. There is confetti all over the streets and people are walking around with creepy masks on. I love itt!
And then this weekend we are going to Rome with API. On a bus, and I won't be getting off no matter WHAT. So I'm really excited for that. We have all these scheduled tours and things planned so I'm very excited to go on my first trip...yet again..



One of corridors in the Uffizi, just casually lined with sculptures.



Our little flag twirlers.







Pictures from our rainy walk.



The Pontevecchio.



The random children's carnival.



This adorable child that just dumped the confetti into the street.



No comments:

Post a Comment