Friday, February 17, 2012

Bonne Saint Valentine!

Happy Valentine's Day!

I hope everyone had a lovely day yesterday. I spent my day in class for six hours. Which was a nice distraction from all the lovey dovey things happening around me.

For dinner we all decided to do the traditional American dinner and go get sushi. We had seen this one sushi restaurant in passing while walking to an appertivo. It had sushi and barbecue written on the glass window which at first created a lot of skepticism. But we passed it a couple times and each time there was a good crowd in there and it just looked really nice.
So we ventured there for our Valentine's dinner. The place was poppin'! We waited downstairs in what once upon a time was a cellar room, now converted into a chic waiting room/smoking room, for half an hour. When we finally were called up we sat down and had ourselves a very interesting dinner.
The way the place worked was that there were two sushi chefs in the middle of this conveyer belt contraption. And they made an assortment of rolls and would place them on plates on the conveyer belt. The belt wrapped around connecting all the tables and bar areas and you would just grab what you wanted. The prices were determined by what designed plate the sushi was on. It was really cool. And really expensive. The sushi was absolutely amazing but you don't eat to get full there. If you did you would be spending 100's of euros. It was a pay for the whole experience kind of ordeal. Either way it was pretty exciting.

On Monday Eliza and I went to Fiesole, which is a little town situated up on the hill that supposedly has a great view of all of Florence. After some confusion on how the bus system works, we got our tickets (only 2.50 euro roundtrip), and found the bus. Fiesole really was a small town. There were so little people out it seemed a little eerie compared to Florence. But we found the scenic walk and the view really was amazing. I tried to take pictures but it really doesn't do it justice. It was so beautiful. Eliza and I sat on this wall over an olive vineyard and just soaked up the sun and the view for about half an hour. It was really great.

Through API, I signed up for volunteering. There were three projects and I signed up and was chosen to volunteer at a Kindergarten. It actually is K through 5th grade. The school is at an old convent, there are a few nuns there but they aren't involved with the school at all. I work with 5th graders every Wednesday from 12 to 1 in their English class. I honestly have no idea what I am supposed to do. The teacher mentioned last minute if I wanted to get a book I read to them. But I have no idea what book you get for fifth graders that are still learning english. It's awkward. So I'll just ask him for advice next Wednesday. Anyways, the classroom is hilarious. There are probably 15 kids, that just talk the entire time he is teaching. They're going over present participle and present continuous.. as if I have any idea what that is.. But he's calling on some kids for answers and reading through this text with them and some are just chatting away, some come up and sit in his seat, some tap his shoulder to ask him a question, it's just an absolute zoo. But he handles it really well. At the end of class he played Proud Mary and the whole class got up and sang and did a dance to it. It was really fun. It's going to be quite the experience. haha

Well that was pretty much my week..


The roomies all dressed up for Valentine's Day.




The sushi delivering conveyor belt.



Our bill, based on the designs of the plate.



Little Fiesole


And the view. Like I said, doesn't do it justice at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment