Sunday, February 12, 2012

Allora...


As per request/demand by Dana. I have a post. I haven't been writing because I feel like I haven't done much note worthy activities. I caught the cold that was going around LdM and my poor flat. Probably because these single pane windows plus the freezing temperatures outside plus the lack of heat provided by the dear government does not foster the most comfortable environment. I have a picture that will demonstrate how I spend my sad days at home.
Like I said, I have not done anything too exciting recently. So lower your expectations. Let's see, my program took us to a ballet. We saw Swan Lake in a nice theater. Not the nicest or prettiest one I've been too but good enough. It also wasn't the typical Swan Lake either. I was very very confused and asked one of the ushers that worked there about it. Ended up, we were watching the life story of Tchaikovsky mixed with his ballet, Swan Lake. Which made way more sense. It ended up being very pretty and captivating. My roommates were very moved, one actually teared up. I didn't think it was tear worthy, but I'm also sure they just have never seen a ballet before. Thanks to Bri, I have seen a many. It was still a nice way to spend my Wednesday night.

I refuse to buy books for class. Because I'd rather spend my hard earned 200 euro on anything other than a textbook. I actually got away with only buying one book for all my classes. One was left in the apartment by past students and the others I read via the library. Having my textbooks there is really awesome cause it saves me a lot of money but it does require me to go to the library a lot, which isn't terrible, but it just means I have to walk in this snowy weather for about 10 minutes versus staying snuggled up in my princess blanket. But I think it is worth it. Especially with my library friend. The librarian is an Italian man, probably in his 60's. I assume that he gets pretty bored so when I walk in all smiley cause it's 30 degrees warmer inside the building, he gets all animated and doesn't care he works at a library and practically shouts "Samantha Riveraaaa!" So of course we chat and I learn he has been working for LdM for almost 30 years. He used to teach History through Cinema, but now he only manages the library, and is a tour guide on the side. The other day he brought out his favorite comic, Tex, that he has been reading for over 40 years. It's an Italian version of the American Old West with Kit Carson and some Indian name I forgot. He was so excited to show me. He also had me read the love letters Michelangelo wrote to his man friend. So that's one of my typical days at the library with my new pal. I guess I should learn his name..

February is the month of Carnival. Which I take to be like Mardi Gras but for all of Europe. These people weae these elaborate costumes and masks and parade around. We thought a parade was supposed to be coming through Florence so we went looking for it but couldn't find it! It was really confusing cause we knew all the places they were supposed to stop and we went there and were still unsuccessful. So instead we went to the chocolate festival. And got free testers of chocolate. And saw a mastiff puppy. Which I proceeded to stalk and try to take pictures of. And was judging how fast it's owner was/ if I stole his puppy would he be able to catch me..

Now back to classes and school. If the weather doesn't change it's going to be mid-40's this week and sunny!! Yippyyyy




My spot in the apartment, in front of the heater.



The theater where we saw Swan Lake.




The Chocolate Festival.



Gucci shoes. 


Yummy.




My future dog. 



Some random Indian musicians. 



People swarming to the smidgeon of sunlight available.

No comments:

Post a Comment