Sunday, February 5, 2012

I Live in Sweatpants

These past few days have been pretty low key. The freezing temperature outside has been discouraging to my house and practically all Italy. The streets are pretty much bare and quiet. Neither the Americans nor the Italians want to go on a stroll. Not like it's any better in our apartment though. It's stupid cold in here. We are all bundled up in our sweats, jackets, and gloves. Yesterday I wore my peacoat inside. It's quite unfortunate. But it's hard to just stay bundled up inside because we all feel like we are missing Italy. So we did end up venturing out a little over the weekend.

I'm not sure if I told you that last weekend we met a group of Italian students. They are from a small town south of Florence and have known each other since they were little. They're really nice and kind of dorky. So anyways, we befriended them and they are the perfect little Italian friends. Thursday night we met up with them at this really cool bar where they had an aperitivo, where you buy a drink for 7 euro and get all you can eat food. The place was a pretty cool modern bar with only Italians. Which is again, how you know it is good. We all then ventured to a Spanish bar and got pitchers of Sangria. It was so yummy! Better than any Sangria I've had. Which really isn't that much, now that I think about it. But it was fun. We all just sat at a big table and try to have a conversation which is always hilarious with the difficulties of english and italian. Their english is actually pretty good. One of the boys has studied English for eight years, last semester he studied in Switzerland to take more English classes. He and Eliza are the translators.

Friday we had our self defense class. It was so much fun. API hires some jujitsu/self defense guy to teach basic moves if a guy enters our "vital sphere." There were 6 steps to learn and we practiced it on the eight sad sad boys in our program. I think I mentioned before that for some reason, the boys in API are the most unathletic, goony, little things. Each of these sad little creatures were given a boxing pad thing to hold up for their line of 20 girls to practice our moves. Of course our house, being crazy, took this so seriously. And kicked the shit out of these boys. Eliza, Elaine, and myself were praised by the instructor. It was hilarious and so sad at the same time. But nonetheless, I'm fulling capable of kicking Michael's butt now.  :)

Friday night we met up with the boys again at their place. They introduced us to more of their friends from home who were all really nice. They didn't speak that great of English so it was a little awkward at first but towards the end of the night we were all amecos.. Which I think means friends.. But I can't be sure. So anyways we hung out at their place till probably midnight. And then went to an American bar that had all these University's t-shirts up on the ceiling. Eliza went to search for Michigan, I asked her if she thought Redlands would be up there. But we both know that wouldn't be true. 98% of the people here go to big schools. Scratch that 99.3%. I actually have heard a couple Chapman people go here. And I met one girl who plays volleyball for a D3 school in Tennessee and she went to the tournament Cal Lu has every year! Haha. Small world alert. She said she hates Cal Lu cause their fans are assholes. I totally agree.
Anywaysss, we were at this bar for a little, went next door and got a kabob burrito ordeal, no idea what it was other than fantastic. And then our little friends took us to a secret bakery! It's a bakery where they bake their pastries for then next day really early in the morning. You can smell it from a block away it was mouth watering, I'm actually drooling just thinking about it. But you go up to their back door and knock on it and wait until a guy cracks it open and asks what you want. We got croissants filled with nutella. I have never been part of a drug deal, but I feel like this is what it might be like, except with pastries. Which I would choose over drugs any day. And then our night ended with us running home because it was actually snowing outside.

Yesterday we went to the museum that has Michelangelo's David in it along with a bunch of other sculptures and paintings all about Jesus and Mary. But David was of course the main thing. He's really big and so amazing. How someone actually sculpts that out of a rock is completely beyond me. Again these sculptures are full of so much detail it is just incredibly impressive. Special special people.

And last night we didn't go out because one of the girls Emeri is sick and we all are freaking out and don't want to get her nasty shit so we decided to stay in and sleep. Even though the club downstairs, played their techno music until 3 am and I couldn't fall asleep until it finally stopped. So that kind of sucked. But now I do my homework and pretend that it's not 40 degrees in the apartment.

Sorry I don't have a lot of photos for you since I haven't really done much and photos inside the museum are prohibited.




But these are our little friends; Marco, Andrea, Alessandro, Nicolo, and Jacopo. 



And this is a sneaky picture of David. 










No comments:

Post a Comment