Tuesday, January 31, 2012

First Day of School

Sorry, I didn't take a picture of my first day of school outfit. But if I did, you would have just seen me all bundled up in one of the two coats I will be wearing every day I am here. Woohoo! Mom, I can't thank you enough for those last minute shopping sprees. And I guess I should thank Macy's for having awesome sales. 

Sooo all my classes are in the same building which is about a ten, fifteen minute walk from where I live. There isn't a central campus here in Florence, so the LdM buildings are scattered throughout Florence. Luckily, all mine are in the same building. Very easy. 

Today I had classes from 9 to 4:30. I literally didn't leave the building. But I also only brought an apple and water..soo I bought a snickers bar for 0,60 euro. I thought of the commercial and that it would stop my hunger. Which I think it did a pretty good job. There's also this really cool cafe' vending machine. 0,60 euro for any kind of coffee, cappuccino, or whatever. And it dispenses your drink and a baby spoon into this little cup. I though it was really cool. Most likely a rip off, but still kind of fun. 

My classes were doable. I thought I wouldn't be able to make it through the 2.5 hours but of course they give you a little break in between to stretch your legs and get a little some some from the snazzy coffee machine. 
I like my classes although they're not like Wine Tasting or Food Culture, which a lot of people are taking. 
But still, I am not taking any summer classes or packing my senior year so I can drink some wine, no no no. Child Psychology is my first class of the day. It's nothing too special or exciting, I'm sure it's just like the one at Redlands, but I wanted to take the course so whatever, it works. Second class of the day is my elective class, Anthropology of Fashion. It's pretty cool. The teacher is really animated and fun. I like it. Of course, I am no fashionista and there are a plenty of girls that are naming all this designer blah blah blah, whatever they're stupid. So that one is fun. And then I have my Italian class. Which has seven people and myself in it. One annoying little shit to my right and a stupid boy to my left. But it's okay. I'm excited to learn the language. I just want to be able to speak when I go out to the market or out to eat! 

LdM (Lorenzo de' Medici) is a big and popular school here in Florence. It offers a bunch of courses and programs, and I'm pretty sure they are all in English. University of Florence is the other big school that the Italian students go to. 
Naturally, in a study abroad program, there are a bunch of different types of students. Generally the division is between people like mwah, who obviously want to experience a different culture and surrounding yet still do well in classes. Then there are the dbags that don't care about their grades at all, fall asleep in class, don't make any attempt to fit in with the Italian culture and norms. They are the cronies that go to every club that is known to be full of tourists and get shmammerd. No joke, one girl came into a cafe and was screaming for an egg on her sandwich. Can you just put an egg on my sandwich!!? It was embarrassing. Well anyways, same girl goes to all the clubs like Space and Central Park, all the places where we were told to be careful of. Same girl went home with an Italian guy. Stupid beezy. These are the people that myself and my house avoid at all costs. 

You definitely have to make an effort to get away from the tourists. But I think my house is doing a splendid job.

...Minus that we are going to an American bar later tonight. Oh well. Fun stories next time I bet!

1 comment:

  1. Espresso machines are bomb! I am so jeals of your life. Minus trekking in the snow b/c that sucks. I didn't leave my dorm in DC for 3days straight due to said cold white stuff. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete