Friday, May 4, 2012

Barcelona

Hellooo!! Okay. Blog updates just to hold you over for the one week till I'm home!!!

Starting with my weekend in Barcelona.
I'll begin with my trip there. I left from Florence to Pisa at like 6 pm. Got through Ryanair and everything rather easily. Got to Girona, a city outside of Barcelona, like an hour and a half bus ride. Similar to Pisa and Florence. So by the time I got to Barcelona it was midnight. Maddy had helped me figure out which metro lines to take to get to the boys apt. but I had their address just in case. So after about fifteen minutes of wandering, I came to a conclusion the metro was no longer running. So I ended up taking a taxi which was actually really easy and only 10 euro. It was the getting into the boys apartment that was the real kicker. I didn't know which number apt they were so I didn't know which one of the thirty buttons to press. Of course I couldn't get ahold of them on their phones because I didn't have a star or pound in front of their numbers... and apparently that is necessary.. So I literally was in Barcelona, at their apartment building, just standing outside the door for an hour until someone left so I got inside and just sat on the stairwell. Luckily I got on a free wifi network and half an hour later got ahold of one of the boys through Facebook and found out which apt to go to. Just an hour and a half later, no biggie.
Other than that mishap my trip was a lot of fun. It was nice to be on my own and just do whatever I wanted to do and go wherever and get completely lost and not feel bad. The weather was pretty nice the whole trip so that was nice cause it had been raining in Florence for the whole week. Let's see I spent a day at the fake beach, went up to Gaudi's park which had a really pretty view of Barcelona, saw La Sagrada Familia. Maddy, Chris, and I went and saw the stadium where they held the Olympics. That was really cool. Then Chris and I literally walked the entire coast of Barcelona. And of course there was the Real Madrid Barca game. Ughh. The city was so awesome the day of, everyone (literally everyone) was in a jersey. Every bar was packed, people had chairs outside bars and were watching the game through the windows of the store. Too bad they suckeddd. The next day, the city was so quiet. Like they were all in mourning. I think that was my favorite thing about Barcelona, the soccer culture. I loved it.
It was really nice to see Maddy and the boys. I hadn't been around boys in so long so that was fun. Really nice of Gabe to let me stay in his apartment. I had a bed and everything.
So that was Barca in a nut shell. It was really quite nice. I didn't do any of the late night discotecas, but that was fine with me. I really enjoyed the laid back trip.
Ended on quite a fun note. So my flight back was at 8:20 am with the gate closing at 7:50. I looked on their website and saw a bus was leaving at 6 which would get me there at 7 30. Close, but the airport was so small I figured I would be fine. Funny thing wasss that when I got to the bus departure station, the bus leaving for the Girona airport was actually leaving at 7:30, making me completely miss my plane. After talking to some bus drivers in broken english/spanish/italian I ended up hopping on a bus to the Girona train station at 6:30 to get me there at 8 to then take a short taxi ride to the airport. Figured it was at least worth the try. So I got to Girona at 8 and sprinted to a taxi yelling "aeropuerto rapidoooo!" He was didn't miss a beat, grabbed my bag, threw it in the back, ran to the drivers seat, and sped off. Literally speeding and driving like a crazy person, going on the other side of the road in oncoming traffic to pass big trucks and buses. I actually put my seat belt on and was holding my breath the whole time. Got to the airport at 8:15 threw him 20 euro and sprinted inside to the RyanAir desk. Showed them my ticket and they just looked at me and said hurry. So ran upstairs, was sliding on the slippery floor, got through security, ran to the terminal that was obviously already closed, the lady at the desk let me under some rope and through and I literally walked straight onto the plane and in a seat. It took me about three minutes and I started cracking up. I was soo luckyyy. It was quite the end to the trip but I was soooo happy it all worked out. haha

Well since I was solo most of the time, I don't have a lot of pictures and I don't have a picture of myself. Sowwies.


Las Ramblas, their main street. I took the metro here on my first day and walked the whole thing, all the way to the water.




The only photo I have of myself in Barcelona. :)



Fake beach


I loved this. They have this system where you can rent a bike at one stand like this and then leave it at another stand anywhere else in the city. I noticed it in Paris too. Everyone was biking everywhere. I thought it was the coolest thing. You just have to be an EU citizen to use them. Lameee



These both are La Sagrada Familia. Not quite sure what it is, but it's cool.






And the Olympic Stadium.




View of Barcelona from Park Guell


Pretty much sums up the city. The Nike store is actually just an FC Barcelona store. It's awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment